12 May 2014

Review - Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

And breathe. (spoilers marked)

Epic. Truly epic. I hesitated to give this 5 stars simply because I want to be able to rate the later entries relatively higher if it improves from here, but it would be a disservice to give it 4. The pacing is excellent, never slacking, often intense. The characters are easily the best Sanderson has ever written, with complex, flawed motivations and goals. You could read this story just for the basic plot but where's the fun in ignoring the rich, hint-laden undercurrents? It's not for a new fantasy reader but rewards long time fans with a complex world and vivid characters.

I've rarely read a second-in-a-series book that had this much energy and individuality. Sanderson's choice to use each book as a backstory focus for one character is really working to keep the story fresh, although Shallan's story left me with as many questions as answers!

Some personal (and spoiler-marked) thoughts:
-Pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed Shallan's present-day storyline (view spoiler).
-Adolin is also growing on me, particularly as his slightly antagonistic relationship with Kaladin evolves. Plus, he and (view spoiler) are a fun match.
-Super excited that (view spoiler)
-Sanderson's descriptions of Kaladin's recurring depression and his anxiety about when/if it will return. Just... spot on, especially with how it never really leaves him. Kaladin bothered me when I read Way of Kings the first time but 3 years later, I really get it.
-If you're willing to go even slightly down the rabbit hole on 17th Shard or Coppermind, this book becomes a much richer experience. (This will also improve your reading of book #1's pacing, IMO.)
-The story left me with sincere tears in places (pg 849 I'm looking at you) and made me catch my breath in several places (especially (view spoiler)).

In short, if you like Sanderson, you'll like this one. I think it will even convert those fans who were on the fence about Way of Kings. Highly, highly recommended for epic fantasy fans.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment