08 May 2014

Review - The Ambassador's Mission by Trudi Canavan

The Ambassador's Mission (Traitor Spy Trilogy, #1)The Ambassador's Mission by Trudi Canavan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a fun, quick read, although I would have greatly benefited from re-reading the preceding trilogy and prequel. I had trouble remembering what the strengths/limits of the magic on this world are. Fortunately, Canavan's plot doesn't anchor on this point and it was easy to slip back into the Kyralian world regardless.

It felt like it took awhile for the story to get going but fortunately, I have the rest of the trilogy on hand to keep going. I'm especially impressed at Canavan's ability to differentiate individuals from their society; no character here is a stereotype. The plot itself does suffer a bit for the "telling instead of showing" problem but the characters are likeable enough to pull you through.

Recommended to Canavan's fans and those looking for a lighter fantasy read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment