08 May 2014

Review - The Rogue by Trudi Canavan

The RogueThe Rogue by Trudi Canavan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Better than its predecessor, Canavan gets and keep the plot rolling through the entire book. I liked the introduction of Lilia to the cast, as we haven't had a Novice in this mix yet. (Although it's actually nice that the majority of the protagonists in this trilogy are middle-aged.) The plot moved much more steadily and continues to not revolve around the magical abilities of the characters as a device to move forward.

The aspect I continued to have the most trouble with, however, is connecting emotionally to the characters. It's a bit like a friend telling you a distressing story about someone you've never met. You know it must be horrible for them but you only sporadically connect their emotions with yours. There's nothing flawed in the storytelling per se, it's just my preference that I feel what the characters are experiencing.

Despite that, the story is engaging and I particularly appreciate Canavan's ability to portray all styles of relationships, from mentors and friends and lovers to the more ambiguous, could/should questions that come up in real life. I also like that her characters make intelligent choices and live with them, even when they're working on flawed information. There's a lot to admire in who her characters are as people, which is a nice change from much of what I've read lately.

Recommended to Canavan's fans and general fantasy readers. Easily appropriate for teens as well, for those who are concerned with content warnings.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment