05 July 2014

Review - The Way of Kings (Revisited) by Brandon Sanderson


The Way of Kings
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This was my second read of this novel (see my first review) and occurred both before, during, and after I read its sequel, Words of Radiance. It holds up well after 3 years and, frankly, was a better read after I finished #2. Some plot and thematic elements become more apparent and reading them back to back lets one eliminate the initial bump of in-world terminology.

I found Kaladin a much more tolerable lead character this time. Since the book's initial publication, when I first read it, I've learned much more about depression and its inescapable presence. Kaladin reads as an authentic depressed character now that I've put that together. Dalinar again annoyed me a bit, although Adolin was also more interesting after reading book 2. Nonetheless, Jasnah & Shallan are still my favorite storyline and I greatly enjoyed the secondary cast of characters.

Definitely still recommended for epic fantasy fans. At only 2 books in, this world is already rich and deep enough to get more out of the first installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment